Saturday, April 5, 2014

29 March 2014 - Duty Calls

Unfortanately had to cancel my tournament plans for this weekend.  I'm the on call manager this weekend and there's a test on our systems. Can't chance a call while I'm on the course.  The weather won't be the best anyway so the field will be small.  Next event?  likely the TGAA event at Lake Presidential in MD.  I'm also excited to have signed up for the MD State Open and Amateur qualifying at Andrews AFB on 21 May 2014.  I've qualified twice at this course and this year I'm more excited about my putting than in any year past.

Practice for tournaments has been interesting... I've made a grip change.  During practices for the past week I noticed the club getting up into my palm and my release of the club through the ball felt restricted.  I made a slight change to the position of the club in both hands... In my right hand I started my grip setup by placing it across the 2nd joint of both middle fingers and the right hand it made sure it was in the same joint.  Effectively this strengthened my grip and while it felt odd I could feel it was more in my fingers.

On the downswing I can feel the club setting better and as my chest covers the ball into the hitting area I can feel more whip through the ball and a crisp strike.  I am noticing more distance and a slightly lower ball flight. I just have to be more conscious of staying in my posture and not popping up out of my swing to watch the ball flight.  Practices are starting well, I'm losing that good feeling part way into practice and then getting comfortable with the grip and pulling the swing back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment