Saturday, April 5, 2014

5 April 2014 Snuck in a practice session

I've hit balls 3 times this week after work when I unexpectedly gained free time from my wonderful wife.  A large bucket each time at the University of Maryland should have been a small or medium. I took my time with each ball using my normal pre-shot routine but got sloppy halfway through the bucket - probably tired.

LESSON: We love to hit balls but fewer balls hit well is better than many balls hit poorly.

Wisely, this time I got a small and continued work with the new grip. Today I focused on tempo and staying in my posture with my eyes on the ball longer to stop from popping up.  Also noticed I am swinging with just my right side, passive left arm through impact.  I focused on pulling through impact with BOTH arms and it really helped starting the ball online with solid contact.

KEY: Good tempo, puling through impact with both arms and staying in my posture through the strike by keeping my eyes on the ball.

Also spent some time on the putting green.  The new strokes continues to be solid.  I focused on visually selected a point on the green for both line and speed.

KEY: Instead of looking at the hole I picked out a spot either short for downhil or past for uphill in encourage using my eyes to set feel without being overly mechanical.    it encouraged me to roll it to that point which delivered the ball to the hole with the perfect speed.

HEALTH NOTE: I've been battling a muscle knot in my back near my shoulder blade.  Doing the same drills used in physical therapy years ago along with SALAMPAS patches... slow going and it's pretty painful.  I think my poor posture and weak core muscles contribute to this happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment