Friday, April 18, 2014

18 April 2014 - Two great practice sessions

Thursday and Friday before the www.tgaatour.com Lake Presidential event, two great practice sessions.  Using the techniques being developed for Brendan and my upcoming instruction product seems to be paying off.

My strategy before tournaments has always been no range practice  the day before an event so I hit balls Thursday.  Why you might ask?  Confidence.  I don't want to undermine my confidence in my swing the night before an event.  I want to go in with positive thoughts.

In this case the practice session made me more confident in my swing.  I hit a half bucket going up through the bag from 52w, 9i, 7i, 5i, 3i, both hybrids and driver.  All clubs hit solidly and most importantly excellent control including fades, draws and low/slow tempo to cheat the wind that was howling.  My lower back did get somewhat tight and I ended up with some less than stellar 2 hybrid shots but back down through my 8i I was again amazed at how well I'm striking the ball.

The Swing...

  1. The grip in the fingers feels comfortable now
  2. Getting connected with the back of my biceps to my chest/torso
  3. Stepping in tall with the club hovering or barely touching the ground (keeping connection with the torso)
  4. Get square and ensure correct spine tilt away from the target (4/30/14 - check 50/50 weight balance)
  5. Slow "Mike Weir" takeaway from the ball to feel the tempo of the upcoming backswing
  6. Slow backswing with resistence in right leg, don't let weight to outside of right foot
  7. Roll to inside of right instep to shift weight to left side
  8. Turn chest to cover ball, soft arms  - don't hit from the top.  This move keeps the hips turning ahead of chest which is covering the ball
  9. As shoulders/chest turn and get hands to slot the right arm extends and the left arm/hand is pulling (I have to pull through w/ the left side or the right hand will dominate and close the face - big pull hook)
  10. Stay balanced as you turn to a finish
Today, putting was money also.  The stroke has been improving in the basement.  Brendan noticed that I appeared to be setting up tall to the ball and getting shorter then taller before the stroke. Also that my eyes would get outiside the ball before the stroke.  I recalled from reading Geoff Mangum's site that the proper eyeline requires you to get the back of you head flat with your neck so you eyes properly see the line.

Green Reading:
  1. Same method as earlier, find the high point of the putt
  2. From the low side of the break, read the green from half way and at the hole with the last foot of the path being most imporotant
  3. Does it curve all the way to the hole, does it straighten out anywhere, is it uphill or downhill?
  4. Make a choice for the path
  5. Pick a target either past the hole or short of it depending on the slope
  6. Focus your eyes on the mark and then back to the putter and align
  7. Follow "The Stroke" below
The Stroke
  1. The grip has the left hand on first with the thumb straight down the flat part of the grip
  2. The left pointer finger lifts to allow the entire right hand on the grip, right thumb down the shaft. 
  3. Snug the right hand up to the left 
  4. Hold the clug loosely
  5. Step up to the ball standing tall with feet close together.
  6. Look down the line to the high point of the break and then straight through the point to a target near the hole
  7. The target depends on if it's a downhill or uphill slower putt, we want to see a mark short or long of the hole respectively to feel the right stroke speed (don't get mechanical with backswing length)
  8. With the mark clearly defined/focused in myt mind I look back at the putter head and get the line aimed at my target
  9. Widen your stance, see the target and stroke

No comments:

Post a Comment