Friday, April 25, 2014

24 April 2014 - Success! First round ever below par on regulation 18 hole course

Let the record show on Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 6:38pm I achieved part of my goal - shoot under par for an 18 hole round of golf.  The Courses at Andrews AFB, East Course Blue Tees.  71 on a Par 72, 71.9/126.  I played 18 holes in 2 hours and 38 minutes during twilight so I used a cart.

Noting that the course is relatively flat, no rough to speak of and not overly long with early season greens speeds... in short -easy.  However, I'm not going to diminish the accomplishgment.  I've played this "easy" course many times including two qualifiers for the MD Open and never shot even par much less under par before.

The course has odd grass in the fairways and in front of greens.  Some small tufts of grass cause odd bounces.  Even in the fairway a tough knot of grass can twist your clubhead and I had each of those occurences lead to a pushed shot or a bad bounce leading to a missed green and 2 bogey's on the back.  A couple poor swings with my hybrid nearly cost me but great wedge play got me within 12 feet and I made four (4) one (1) putts for pars to keep the round alive (All that winter putting on the basement putting green w/ the best suprise christmas gift from my wife ever... A Scotty Cameron Newport)

STATS:
  • 4 Birdies (24ft, 15ft and 3 ft - 1 Chip in ~35 feet)
  • 3 Bogies
  • 27 Putts
  • 7 fairways
  • 8 Greens
BIRDIES:
  • For each of the GIR's my distance to the hole was pretty good... I hit 6/9 greens on the front nine.  On the back I scrambled alot and hit only 2 greens.
  • Distance to the hole for the 1st put #'s 1-5 respectively:  13, 10, 13, 24, 15 
  • Distance to the h for #8 I chipped in from ~35 ft from the back fringe
  • Birdie putt on hole #9 was 3 ft


No comments:

Post a Comment