Wednesday, October 15, 2014

15 October 2014 - Had another lesson with Brendan Horton today. Was supposed to be a fitting for some kick ass MP-4's but decided to wait.  I'm gonna hit more irons through the spring and see what I really want. Current leader is the Cobra Amp Cell Pro's.  Unfortunately the new 2015 Cobra blades will be renamed to FLY-Z... yeah, great name (not)!

Anyway... the lesson.  Posture over the ball looked awesome.  Problems:

  1. My grips are probably too small. He wants the pad of my left thumb a SMIDGE longer to get more fo the pad on the club.  Also just right of center so the center line comes up to the left edge of my thumb. Right hand the thumb was a bit more in contact with the grip (felt bad)
  2. Stepping into the ball I need to flex knee and not lean so far in
  3. Shoulders get open to the line. Stay tall with shoulders and keep them square, that's where you tend to get open shoulders
  4. Club face was open.  It's perspective but it's open. He got it square. I can see it better when I lean it WAY forward to 1 iron loft to see that bottom line is straight away from me, not open
  5. At the start of the swing I have a slight right hip bump and hands push away move that gets me away from the ball and then I push off right side and hit the ball.  
  6. Backswing drills with more shoulder tilt is REALLY GOOD
  7. REAL backswing the right elbow folds quick and the face fans open. I think slower backswings allow you to feel the deeper left shoulder 
  8. Downswing I need to get the right shoulder pushing the elbow in front of the right hip but keep my arm stretched across my shoulder line - MY HABIT is to drop the hands as I turn getting stuck behind the hip
  9. This leads to me being WAY off the right foot.  I need to get more rotation out of that first move down and keep that right foot flat.
Brendan gave me Ben Hogan as a model for right shoulder move   
Hunter Mayhan, he said, is a decent example of modern day golfer but not his release through the ball
I'm asking him if Martin Kaymer is doing it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment