Sunday, March 9, 2014

A little about me...

I'm a 47 year old resident of Laurel Md.  My handicap has been in the single digits for years, even +1 once and I've been under par during the round but never posting the official score with a minus sign.  I've played in some money leagues (www.tgaatour.com) and made more money than I spent entering the events.  I've qualified and played in two Maryland State Opens although I didn't make the cut in either one.  I also competed in two US Open qualifiers; one at Towson Country Club and one at Worthington Manor but didn't make it to the sectionals.  I played professionally, officially, and earned close to $10,000 in total earnings spread over about 6 years.  Basically I wrote expenses off my taxes and played free golf.

Towson was a learning experience on a tough course and I didn't score well at all.  However, at Worthington Manor I was in the hunt at even par with 8 holes to play, even par on the card and standing over a 2 1/2 foot putt for Birdie with two par 5's left to play.  I had a discussion with my caddy on the line of the putt and then hit it too firmly for the line I picked and missed.  The resulting 4 putt rattled me and I ended up playing the last 6 holes at +3 ... I shot a 75.  Encouraging but it still doesn't get me to sectionals. It's been fun but like any golfer who plays pretty well I'd love to play professionally and make money at it.

I have taken two years off from competitive golf to raise my son (he's turning 8 in March) but this year I'm gonna get back to competing.  In 2011 I submitted application to the USGA to gain my amateur status back. When I submitted that application I lost the itch to compete and rounds over 80 were frustrating. However,   two years later, as my reinstatement date approached I felt that familiar desire to hit shots under pressure. SSSSOOOOOoooo! I paid for a handicap at a local course, started playing rounds and entered scores to get a handicap established (hadn't done that in 10 years because professionals don't need handicaps).

I have a long term plan now.  I'm going to get my scores (yes scores) below par this year.  In the tournaments I've planned I want to make the cut and be competitive under pressure on the final day.  Next year I'm going to win USGA and Maryland state amateur events and when I turn 50 I will be prepared for Senior PGA Tour Q School and maybe even the Web.com tour.

Dream Big!

No comments:

Post a Comment