Saturday, May 24, 2014

24 May 2014 - Think I Figured it Out, no more high blocks or low hooks

Consistency is based on fundamentals... 

I have a lack of consistency in that I occassionally hit a high block and then over compensate and hit a low pull hook.  Funny thing is the solution was something my coach tried to teach me long ago that's part of a good setup routine.  Went to the range today and worked on this.

Problem: Once you grip the club and get it connected to your upper torso at the back of your biceps you are ready to step into the ball.  For me I was sitting the club down for just a second as I was stepping in. Then before really being set I was waggling while adjusting my feet and it lead to inconsistent posture for high/low hands, spine tilt, alignment and how tall I was at the start of the swing.  My wife, funny enough, suggested "you need to find a way to get ready to hit so your are setup the same every time, not high or low hands but just right"

Solution: Today I recalled what my coach was teaching me during several of our many lessons... Brendan Horton said Once you place the club behind the ball leave it there until your feet are set. Then you can pick it up and waggle if you need to."

Setting the club down, while staying very tall - with slight flex in the knees but not hunching or bending too much at the waist.  A properly fitted club will help you find that posture.

  • The club is grounded with the sole flat on the ground but JUST BARELY touching the ground.  
  • Then while leaving the club in place, especially the height-position of my hands, as I step in square to the ball.  
  • When setting my feet I feel the weight on both feet is 50/50 w/ a slight 'bounce' of the knees
  • I also ensure I have spine tilt. 
Four smooth steps, less fidgeting before the shot. That series of steps sets me up for a square strike.  Now I just need to make this a permanent habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment